The Pros and Cons Of Going Abroad for Surgery
Hair transplants can be expensive, which is why many people look abroad for more affordable options. Turkey has quickly become the go-to destination for international hair transplant patients, offering a wide selection of clinics and inexpensive prices. Many of these clinics offer patients lavish package deals that include stays at posh five-star hotels.
But is it worth the risk of undergoing a major invasive procedure in a foreign country? Here are some of the pros and cons of getting a hair transplant in Turkey.
If you have a healthy appetite for risk, the pros of getting a hair transplant in Turkey might outweigh the cons.
- The surgery is less expensive up front. Even if we assume you’ve found an excellent surgeon (and we really hope you have), hair transplant costs in Turkey are dramatically less expensive than they are in the U.S. We’re talking around the $3,000 range. However, this doesn’t include the cost of travel – or the cost of follow-up surgery in case something goes wrong.
- You get to travel. It’s a great opportunity if you’ve never been abroad or are just interested in Turkey. But it’s best to schedule touristy outings before being operated on, because the healing process will limit your mobility for a few days.
- You receive a luxury experience, if you go the package deal route.
- You may not have family or friends nearby who can assist you if something goes wrong. This means that you may be alone and without support in the event of any complications or unexpected issues.
- Traveling post-surgery also poses a potential risk, as undergoing a major medical procedure can be physically and emotionally taxing. This may make it more difficult to travel, and may increase the likelihood of complications or issues during your trip.
- You may not be entitled to legal protection if the surgery isn’t performed correctly. If you experience any complications or issues as a result of the procedure, you may not have legal recourse to seek compensation or hold the clinic accountable.
- Demand for hair transplants in Turkey is very high, and this can make it difficult to find a reputable clinic with experienced and qualified surgeons. If you don’t thoroughly research and carefully select a clinic, you may end up in a bad situation with subpar results or complications from the surgery. It’s extremely important to take the time to carefully research and compare different clinics before making a decision.
Getting a hair transplant in Turkey can be a less expensive option than in the United States, and may offer the added bonus of a luxury experience through package deals. However, there are risks associated with undergoing a major medical procedure in a foreign country, including the lack of legal protection and the potential for complications.
Still weighing the pros and cons? Get in touch with us and we’ll be happy to give you more guidance on the subject.